Friday, July 17, 2026

Somebody Call The Whaaambulance (Girl Dad)


(I originally wrote this blog in December. I'm only posting b/c I want to explain why I was looking for that LILE Veritas story)

_____________


I've complained a lot about writer's block but the writers block has been REAL these last few years. That said....I am in the earliest of early stages of a sequel to Nova. 

This is from the Vice FAQ  (March 2014)





Let's Talk Vice

When I decided I wanted to go back to cyberpunk I thought about putting together a syllabus of some of the recent the cyberpunk media to help ground myself back in the  genre. 

But then I realized...I needed a refresher on my version of cyberpunk.

Reader, I read it.

Back in December I re-read everything ever  written for Vice/Veritas. Some of the Vertias stuff is rough and odd as hell but I can appreciate it because I know it's a step on a 14 year journey! 

Oh, except, @Lile I couldn't get to Darkness At The Edge of Town! The Lost Angel Site URLs aren't directing ): (Now I've officially done it all)


Here are some fun things I noted during my revisit:

  • It was so funny "binging" all these serials because IRL they were written years apart. I totally forgot that I posted the very first chapter of Vice 2 and then dipped for 10 months. 

  • 90% of the stories have a scene with marble or  bloody noses. People are constantly getting bloody noses. IDK what that's about.

  • I  have no idea what I was doing with Minnie and Jean and the implied incest. I eventually figured them out but YIKES. In Veritas I said it was to make them unsettling but it shows up in Vice and Compulsion too. 

  • This conversation from Hidden (2010) about AI and is starting to feel a little too real.

Give Me a Couple Years I Can Do Anything

While doing my re-read I would often read the blog to understand exactly what was going through my head and I FINALLY figured out how to get my Disquis comments back!

Disqus has a custom link for every comment thread so  I pasted the link into the blogposts. All of my Disquis/Blogger comments are on https://shvcomments2.blogspot.com/. IDK why you all would need ever need them but it was helpful for me to go back and see how I answered questions.


Girl Dad

I didn't want to come empty handed and thought I'd share the flash fic I've been picking at when I wanted to try writing again. 

Honestly, I just wanted to write about Spencer--Rhett and Juliana's oldest daughter.  This takes place in the Harrison High universe. She's 18 and just finished her first year of college:




Girl Dad

Playlist